Toggle Menu

Toxic Black Mold: The Truth & What To Do

“Toxic Black Mold” May Sound Scary, But the Truth May Surprise You

So, what exactly is “Toxic” Black Mold?

Also known as black mold, “toxic” black mold is another commonly used term for Stachybotrys Chartarum. It is one of the most well-known toxic molds because it grows in homes and can be dangerous to humans, as it produces toxins called mycotoxins.

Homeowners and renters everywhere have heard about the dangers of black mold, sensationalized by the media as a more dangerous form of mold. It sounds terrifying!

The truth is, mold is pretty much everywhere and if you can see it, it should be treated as any other mold – removed and remediated as quickly as possible.

According to the CDC, the term “toxic” is very misleading. Though there are molds that produce toxins (like mycotoxins), the mold itself is not toxic or hazardous.

Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere – in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.
The CDC

Where Does Black Mold Grow?

Like other molds, both toxic and not, black mold will grow and spread in damp, humid areas like basements and crawl spaces. Identifying black mold early could prevent not only health problems, but structural issues that may arise as the mold grows. It is important to find the source of the moisture and dry it completely, especially in the case of broken pipes in walls or particularly wet areas, to prevent future mold growth.

Cleaning & Keeping Your Home Mold Free

Though Toxic Black mold sounds like more than you can handle, it should be treated just like any other mold – which means you can probably take care of it yourself with a few household products.

Some simple solutions include soap and water, cleaning products or a bleach solution (1 cup bleach, 1 gallon water). Remember, never mix cleaning solutions. Mixing cleaning solutions could produce toxic fumes, like ammonia. Be sure to wear protective eyewear as well as non-porous gloves while cleaning up the affected area. Once the area is cleaned, ensure that it is completely dry and that the source of the moisture is fixed. In the event of a flood, it is recommended to replace carpeting.

Learn More About Mold Fact, Fiction & Prevention.

Need a pro?

Toxic mold can be any color, and any mold should be removed from the home immediately. If you can see the mold, you may be at risk of health issues. If the size of the affected area exceeds 10 square-feet (3×3), it’s time to give us a call.

Though it’s impossible to remove mold completely, our experienced staff will help you breathe easy knowing your home is mold free.

If you are currently experiencing mold issues or suspect that there may be black mold in your home, contact us for your free estimate today!

Free Estimates

Fill out the following form and a member of our team will be in touch to confirm your free estimate appointment:

  • A complete consultation of the area that needs remediation
  • A comprehensive estimate that includes everything that needs to be completed and advice on what the next steps should be.
  • Guaranteed Workmanship
  • 24 Hour Service – 7 Days A Week
  • The best price in the Chicagoland area

 

Serving Illinois, Wisconsin & Indiana.

For 24 Hour Emergency Service,
call 1-800-597-6911.